Communication Officer/LandNet Rwanda Chapter Program Officer
Rwanda Initiative for Sustainable Development (RISD) is a local NGO that is based on policy research, networking and advocacy. For the past Thirteen Years, RISD has focused on land policy as the main area of policy engagement. This is done through networking with other civil society organizations and advocacy with policy makers.
RISD Vision is To ensure equitable access to land resources for sustainable peace, social justice and economic stability.
RISD MISSION is To promote, advocate and foster social and economic transformation by Rwandans themselves through sustainable use and protection of Natural Resources towards poverty reduction in an equitable and participatory manner.
One of the key networks that RISD coordinates is the LandNet Rwanda Chapter. LandNet is an Africa-wide network that brings together policy makers, academicians and civil society to work on land related issues. These issues are especially related to land reform and land policy implementation, including land dispute management and mitigation.
LandNet Mission is To contribute to equitable and sustainable land reform through inclusive actions and processes.
LandNet Goal is To build a network that promotes dialogue and partnership between government, civil society, donors and the grassroots on issues relating to land.
To Achieve RISD and LandNet’s Vision and Mission, a need has been identified to hire a Program Officer responsible for an Advocacy and Communication Officer in RISD who doubles as the Program Officer of LandNet Rwanda Chapter, with the following Terms of Reference:
- a. Develop Communication Strategy and its implementation Strategy for RISD and specific projects
- b. Develop, Monitor Annual Work Plan for LandNet Rwanda Chapter and present reports to the Steering Committee and Members.
- c. Design, produce and disseminate Public Information Awareness materials
- d. In charge of updating RISD and LandNet Social media.
- e. Responsible for disseminating information and key messages to partners of RISD & LandNet Rwanda Chapter, while ensuring the promotion of compliance with RISD’s and LandNet’s identity, values and principles.
- f. Initiate News Briefs and Press Release for the land advocacy messages.
- g. Ensure a close connection to LandNet members and other networks.
- h. Develop Strategies for Strengthening LandNet Rwanda Chapter Members.
- i. Maintain a good working relation with Media and Government Institutions.
- j. Organize events and workshops for RISD and LandNet including organization of the Annual Land Dialogue Event.
University degree in Communication/ Journalism/ Public Relations/Mass media/Multi Media/International Relations or connected subject
- a) Proven experience in communication, campaign, public relations and knowledge management
- b) Experience in designing and use of Public Information and Awareness (PIA) Tools as well as Information Education Communication Methodology (IECM)
- c) Proven experience in synopsis and messages writing
- d) Practical experience in communication and campaign approaches
- e) Experience in targeting opinion and influencing groups at the grassroots
- f) Experience in Lobbying and advocacy strategies
- g) Experience in using social networks (website, twiter, facebook, blog, skype) as an influencing advocacy and campaign tool
- h) Excellent Technical and Analytical use of English language. French is an added asset
- i) General knowledge on land policies is an added asset
- j) Strong networking skills both with NGOs, government institutions and private sector
- k) Regional/international experience is an added advantage
- l) Ability to work as a team, with flexibility and innovation
Expression of interest should be sent to email@example.com with CV and 3 reference letter including one from the most recent employer. Phone calls are not acceptable. Interested candidate MUST be a Rwandan or someone who is near to Rwandan nationality by culture and local context understanding, and able to speak Kinyarwanda fluently; Available immediately to start the job. Application deadline 7th February 2014.